Mistakes Singers Make
1. Hookah: don’t smoke yourself out the night before a show
2. Edibles: if you’re going to get stoned (not that I’m recommending it) don’t smoke it; eat it.
3. Scream: no screaming fight with your boyfriend/girlfriend/manager. Same for going to a sporting event and cheering.
4. Phone: a show day isn’t a good time to be having lots of phone conversations in loud rooms or noisy cars
5. Friends: don’t let your very excited friends wind you up with their adrenaline in your dressing room
6. Heels: don’t put on your super high heels until after the stylist is done with your hair unless you don’t mind kneeling (the artist was wearing a huge dress she couldn’t sit down in)
7. In-ears: check out your monitor mix during sound check with both in-ear monitors in your ears so you don’t have to pull them out during the show
8. Falls: rehearse your transitions between songs so you know where the edges of the stage are and everything on it
9. Digestion: if you have acid reflux, take your meds and don’t eat crap
10. Pace Yourself: don’t blow out your voice the first week of a six week tour
11. Feedback: don’t piss off the sound person
12. Scales: do your vocal warmups. You never know what funny exercises you might use in your next film
Lis Lewis is a voice teacher and performance coach in Los Angeles, CA. She has been training recording artists for over 30 years. Learn more about her private voice lessons. She has also coached celebrities including: Miguel, Rihanna, Iggy Azalea, Bryson Tiller, Demi Lovato, and more. Lis is also the author of the books, “The Singers First Aid Kit” and “The Pop Singers Warm-Up Kit” both published by Hal Leonard.